Unified notification daemon / systray icon?

Andrew Barbaccia andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:42:23 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Frank Myhr <fmyhr at fhmtech.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently became aware of the ongoing discussion about notification
> bubbles through an article at lwn.net:
>
> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/321884/5d9494a1a2842c24/
>
> It got me thinking about a possible way of handling notifications that
> could please a wide variety of users. I posted the idea at the above lwn
> link and got some feedback there, but thought I'd summarize it here as
> well. Maybe parts of it could be useful as the Ubuntu team works on the
> new notification interface.
>
> -Frank

[snip]

> Routing all notifications through a single UND / single UNI has the
> following benefits:
>
> 1) All notifications appear in the same place, no need for the user to
> go hunting for them.
>
> 2) Notifications are easy for the user to ignore (or not) depending on
> how they're using the system at the moment.
>
> 3) The UND may save memory, as compared with multiple notification daemons.
>
> 4) The user can configure their system-wide notification preferences in
> a single place.

[snip]

> iii) The UND could allow setting up multiple notification profiles, so
> that a user could build up different sets of notification filters for
> different use cases and easily switch among them.

Hello all, this is my first post on this list but I've been following
the discussions for a bit.
I'm going to agree with Frank's approach and offer a suggestion of my own.

We currently have an applet that sits in the tray displaying the user's
state (I'm not sure of the name but it has the logout / shutdown options as
well). It's integrated with pidgin so that a change in state will reflect a
change in online status and vice versa. If we were to implement profiles for
notifications, changing the state in this applet should also change the
notification profile as well. (Eg. If you pick "Busy" then a no notification
profile should be selected)

I understand that implementation is the smaller battle compared to
determining what profiles, which notifications, and how much verbosity is
appropriate but I thought I'd include my 2 cents and introduce myself.

--
Andrew Barbaccia