Notifications: uselessness of

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Mar 3 09:02:54 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 07:17:35PM +0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > The flashing button in the window list tends to attract attention.
>
> A flashing button in the window list says "deal with me NOW NOW NOW!".

Well, no.  A system-modal popup dialog says "NOW NOW NOW".  A flashing
button says "please deal with me in a couple of minutes, ok?  how about
now?  how about now?  please?  c'mon, do it!"

> The previous update-notifier orange rosette / red arrow was is easily
> noticeable, but not intrusive.

I gather that was the problem: lack of intrusiveness.  Non-advanced
users did not notice it and did not install important security updates.

Marius Gedminas
--
Redundancy is bad because it causes errors, and wastes resources. (Ed: Also I
think there's a commandment against it in the Bible. Or there was until they