Foundations Team Weekly Report, 2009-06-26

Robbie Williamson robbie at
Fri Jun 26 20:12:02 BST 2009

== Present ==

 * RobbieWilliamson - chair
 * ColinWatson
 * EvanDandrea
 * MichaelVogt
 * MikeTerry
 * MuharemHrnjadovic
 * ScottJamesRemnant

## list additional participants here

== Apologies ==
 * LarsWirzenius - On Holiday
 * MatthiasKlose - on Canonical OEM Team rotational assignment
 * SteveLangasek - Travelling back from
Boot Performance Sprint]]

== Agenda ==

 * Karmic
  * DebianImportFreeze is '''tomorrow''' - merge, merge, merge!!! :)
  * glibc
  * Status and Roadmap
  * Reminder to Milestone Features
  * Platform Team Sprint -
 * 8.04.3 LTS Update
 * Sponsorship queue
 * Good news
  * Great progress made at the
Boot Performance Sprint]]
 * AOB

== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==
 * liw to enter the storm of dmraid and talk to TheMuso
 * Keybuk to draft KMS on the Console spec....based on mysterious irc discussion

== Actions from this meeting ==

== Activity reports ==
=== Colin Watson ===
 * Fixed ubiquity #361627 (should not remove ecryptfs-utils when in use).
 * Merged: grub2, busybox, ubuntu-policy, gnu-efi, openldap
 * Drafted specs: foundations-karmic-golden-iso-image,
 * Reviewed/approved specs: foundations-karmic-install-updates-when-installing,
foundations-karmic-update-on-shutdown, foundations-karmic-power-management
 * Fixed user-setup #388822 (username cannot have underscore during install).
 * Sponsorship:
  * iso-scan (merge from Muharem).
 * Proposed a parted patch to clean up its current messy names for swap
partition types.
 * Sent a few busybox patches upstream (and then argued about them).
 * Sent a proposal for installer online help text to debian-boot.
 * LWN interview regarding GRUB 2.
 * Adjusted base-installer for new PAE kernel package naming.
 * Dynamically linked busybox in the initramfs, saving a megabyte. Some other
shrinkage in initramfs-tools and dmraid.
 * Worked on removing the old timezone map from ubiquity.

=== Evan Dandrea ===
 * Helped Marc Tardiff with a few emails on his experiences with=ubiquity
automation.  Verified that NTP preseeding was working, but filed bug 388343
after some discussion with Colin.
 * Uploaded casper 1.132ubuntu0.3 to fix persistence support in 8.04.3.
 * Tested Wubi r136 as a candidate to replace the version we have on the website
for 9.04.  Filed a RT to have IS sign the binary.
 * Had a discussion with Dylan McCall across the ubuntu-installer and
ubiquity-slideshow mailing lists about the best approach for a slide format,
then incorporating their existing work into the specification. Poked around the
webkitgtk code.
 * Helped debug some installation issues in #ubuntu-installer for waters and mattn_
 * Finished drafting the encrypted swap specification.  Prodded Agostino and
Roman to finish their respective specs.  All specifications are now approved.
 * Email discussion with Michael Terry on what specifications and other work he
can pick up for 9.10.
 * Sorted travel for Debcamp and the sprint.
 * Email discussion with Belinda about notifying interested parties about
changes to oem-config.
 * Did a bit of sponsorship work (LP: #380940, #384648, #349844)
 * Looked into unit testing devkit-disks code via netlink messages, but after
some discussion with Scott found it's much easier and better practice to create
a fake devkit-disks.
 * Looked into an issue of ubiquity ending up on the installed system, as
reported on ubuntu-devel.
 * Wrote an article for the Partner Newsletter, per Larry's request.
 * Email discussion with Tim on the likelihood of colinux ever making it into
the Ubuntu kernel.  As this was a definite no, sent an email to ubuntu-devel
announcing that we will not be pursuing it for Wubi.
 * Followed up with the Xandros user looking to install Ubuntu via USB on
ubuntu-devel, per Robbie's request.
 * Started a conversation with Andrew Sayers on his specification.
Andrew expressed interest on helping with the m-a rewrite, so I'm going to touch
base with him when I return from vacation.
 * Pushed Wubi r137 to Karmic.
 * Hacked on the devkit backend / better backend split code for usb-creator.
 * Reviewed rgreening's usb-creator backend work.  Looks about ready, but I'll
have to make the necessary changes to the GTK frontend and pull in the devkit
backend when I return from vacation, as we're long overdue for a new release.

=== James Westby ===
==== Distributed Development ====
  * Started importing lots of main, but slowed due to the the volume of mail
generated. Launchpad developers promptly fixed this, thanks.  I've started the
import again.
  * There are what appear to be similar problems causing the import of quite a
few packages to fail. Investigation of this not yet done.

==== Daily Builds ====
 * Spec not completed, sorry. It will be done this week.

==== Kerneloops ====
  * Spec drafted and approved. Much help from Martin Pitt on how to implement
the needed pieces in apport, thanks.

==== Distro tasks ====
  * Some new packages so that we can have the new launchpadlib. Just one new
package left to do I think.
  * Less sponsoring than I would have liked due to being away.

==== Other ====
  * 4 days conference leave for Open Source Bridge
  * Preparation and travel arrangements for DebConf.
=== Lars Wirzenius ===

=== Matthias Klose ===

=== Michael Vogt ===
==== Specs ====
 * Set apt-pre-unpack spec to review
 * KarmicInternalRepositoryManagment in review

==== update-manager ====
 * Add code to the non-interactive upgrader to read the dpkg progress logs
(pre-unpack spec)
 * Add code to libapt to output when dpkg is about to be forked on the status-fd
(pre-unpack spec)
 * PAE kernel transition discussion
 * misc bugfixes
 * add auto-upgrade tester as its own package
 * ship kubuntu and main-all in default profiles for the auto-upgrade tester
(plus lts-server and lts-ubuntu)
 * fix problem with left-over kvm instances
 * fixes in the auto-upgrade-tester cli interface
 * upload new version with auto-upgrade-tester package

==== kernel-crashdump ====
 * learn about it (including how to trigger it, use "crash" etc)
 * fix grub to pass better crashfile= parameter (#389449)
 * fixes in kexec-tools
 * update crash and makecrashfile to new upstream versions (and fix libdw-dev
along the way)
 * switch crash output to ELF by default, this got me a meaningful backtrace
with "crash" and the linux-image-debug kernel
 * make it work by default once the  "linux-crashdump" pacakge is installed

==== AppCenter ====
 * AppCenter design discussion
 * Update app-install-data with the keyword data from mpt
 * discussion about dbus apt backend with glatzor
 * add debconf support to aptdaemon based around passthrough frontend and a
debconf socket (lp:~mvo/aptdaemon/debconf)

==== misc ====
 * Merge the confflictschecker changes by sbeattie to macaroni and make it run
again (yeah!)
 * Fix ubuntu-vm-builder problem (vol_id -> blkid)
 * Synaptic: merge i18n fix
 * Fix bugAddress in software-properties
 * Debug/fix apt scoring problem with recommends (in the problem resolver)

==== sponsoring ====
 * smartmontools, metacity, gnome-games

=== Mike Terry ===
==== Merges ====
 * Re-merged hdparm
 * Updated duplicity

==== Rsyslog ====
 * Finished de-rooting it
 * Polished upgrade/migration code
 * Filed MIRs
 * Waiting on review

==== Ubiquity/oem-config merge ====
 * Spent a while on merging the oem-config codebase with ubiquity's
 * Kept history and format by using bzr-merge-into plugin
 * Now there are very few oem-config-specific files, there are just bits of code
that behave differently when run as oem-config.
 * Have something that builds, have not tested yet.  Will upload as a bzr branch

=== Muharem Hrnjadovic ===
==== Administrivia ====
    * Took care of Platform sprint travel arrangements

==== Merges and syncs ====
    * iso-scan_1.28ubuntu1
    * dput 0.9.4ubuntu1
    * lcms_1.18.dfsg-1
    * netbase_4.35ubuntu1
    * gawk_3.1.6.dfsg-3ubuntu1
    * ifplugd_0.28-15ubuntu1
    * rabbitmq-server 1.6.0-1
    * texmaker_1.9.1-1ubuntu1
    * crash_4.0-8.9-1

==== Distributed development ====
    * I felt I needed a bit more background so went back and read all the specs
on the subject
    * started using bzr-builddeb in order to understand the underlying ideas better.
    * analysis and study of the bzr-rebase plugin source code.

=== Scott James Remnant ===
==== Upstart ====
 * Upstream license reverted back to GPLv2 (from GPLv3)
 * Much bug fixing, with several new releases: 0.3.10 and 0.3.11 of the stable
branch (uploaded to Ubuntu) and 0.5.2 and 0.5.3 of the development branch

==== Kernel ====
 * More fiddling with trying to get the populate_rootfs() call to be async, not
having much luck yet - the first thing that the initcalls do is resync - may
have to move the function a bit later on
 * Union mount testing

==== Udev ====
 * Updated bzr tree to 143, including necessary rules and control changes caused
by the inclusion of the udev-extras code (not yet   uploaded)

==== Other ====
 * Debian/Ubuntu Boot sprint

=== Steve Langasek ===
==== Release management ====
 * release meeting: FeatureDefinitionFreeze
 * Ubuntu 8.04.3 work

==== Specs ====
 * following up on Debian LTS coordination

==== Misc ====
 * boot performance sprint in London

More information about the ubuntu-devel mailing list