ctrl-alt-backspace aka don't zap via GUI, was: Re: [Merge] lp:~albertomilone/gnome-control-center/randr-virtual into lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/gnome-control-center/ubuntu

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Jan 30 21:06:16 GMT 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:12:41 +0100 Stefan Potyra <sistpoty at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>Hi,
>
>[for the record, discussion about allowing a user to activate
>ctrl-alt-backspace via gui].
>On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 06:16:02PM -0000, Jordan Mantha wrote:
>>
>> One more point. This is *so* not the place [..] to have a
>> conversation like this. [..]
>> If you have a problem with it, use the
>> ubuntu-devel mailing list.
>
>Forwarding to ubuntu-devel, since I fully share your believe that this
>discussion should be held on a mailing list instead of a merge request.
>
>Please only follow-up to the mailing list in response.

To follow-up the discussion from the merge request...

In that discusion it was declared that alt-sysreq-k was "better" because it's harder to
hit accidentally and more reliable due to being implemented in the kernel
and not X.

So far I've tested this approach on one laptop and I find it "not working".
 If we are going to hand this to end users as the solution to a locked X, I
think it needs testing first.

Scott K