missing /dev/console in debootstrap --foreign, a bug or not ?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 20 15:17:22 GMT 2009

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 20.01.2009, 09:05 -0600 schrieb Robert Nelson:
> Sorry Oliver for hijacking the thread.
it were very valid comments, thanks for adding them ;)

> >From my research, using debootstrap with --foreign has always required
> the user to create device nodes afterwards with mknod (/dev/console).
> Either the original author had a good reason, (which i haven't found
> any explanation) or no one has thought to expand on it.
right, if its feasable to do so, i would like to see it expanded in such
a way, there is no reason to require the user to have to run mknod if
debootstrap can do it itself ... from my understanding the foreign
option always has to be used in the context we do (running the second
stage either on real HW or in a VM ...) so enabling the setup to boot
seems essential to me ... :)

ciao
	oli