Introduction to Ubuntu Distributed Development

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 07:02:00 GMT 2009

2009/12/21 Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at ubuntu.com>:
> On Monday 21,December,2009 06:51 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>> Topgit allows you to have branch-per-patch and at buildtime you can
>> request to export those branches (their heads) as quilt patch series
>> into debian/patches/
> I'm quite aware of what it does. I'm just saying that quilt does a good job
> already and something like topgit is not really necessary. Just use quilt to
> make changes to the patches, and when satisfied, quilt pop -a and commit.

I guess we have different preferences ;-) I like to bzr when I'm
working on software and I prefer commit and share my branch, discuss
with people on it. And quilt is not flexible for me when I have to
reorder patches or update them to new upstream release. I create a
pipe apply the patch merge new upstream and use bzr external-merge to
resolve (most of the time it succeeds perfectly where quilt chokes)

>> I'm referring to working on upstream trunk and trying to package it
>> for daily builds off the trunk. While still using the same repo for
>> development. Basacly I couldn't make hg nor git to behave (take all
>> changes of the tree but use by debian/ folder and no I don't care if
>> there is conflicts outside debian/ just pick master). I had to jump
>> through loops......
> I've been maintaining a daily PPA for banshee, which uses git for VCS and
> git-buildpackage to generate the .dscs for uploading, and it has worked very
> nicely for the past few months (since I've started the banshee-daily PPA). I'd
> be glad to share my script with you -- just ping me (hyperair) on IRC.

Cool =) I'm using banshee-daily BTW ;-) thank you.

I'm alright thanks, using bzr-git for mine daily-from-git packaging.

> Then apply already ;-)

"Needs more experience in Ubuntu" =( oh well =) something to work on
over the holidays.

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),