Introduction to Ubuntu Distributed Development

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 17 17:57:39 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 04:40:19PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> Right now, that vote would be:
>
>  ( ) continue using the existing apt-get source infrastructure, and
>      contribute by sending debdiffs around; merge from Debian by hand,
>      etc.

What do you mean "by hand"?
I've already been merging xubuntu-dev's bzr branches with debian
pkg-xfce's svn ones before that (and this isn't limited to bzr, hg & git
can do that too)… And $random_vcs was doing the merge for me. The "new
bzr infrastructure" didn't invent the concept of VCS or merge.

Actually, for lucid, so far, the new infrastructure has been
particularly inefficient for me, as the lp:ubuntu and lp:debian branches
(for the universe packages I have been working on) were either outdated
or missing… This will probably improve in time, but that's frustrating,
especially since you're saying "omg, it rocks, just use it!".

I'm fairly confident that there won't be any vote, because that's not
how Ubuntu works, and that's not the problem. The problem is how you're
describing the vote:

  ( ) continue using the old system, it's inefficient, bad, believe me,
select the other choice, etc.

  ( ) switch to the new system, believe me, it's better, it's new, it
rocks, it's new, did I say that it's new? so use it.

Hopefully, you're doing that on purpose (or you have a problem with the
word 'objectivity'), but it does no good to the new architecture… The
original mail from James was much more interesting. :)

Cheers,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33  F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A