Considerations about official localized editions of Live CDs

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 03:30:53 GMT 2009

Hi Savvas,

I know there are DVDs that contains various languages, but do you
think downloading several GBs for installing a not-too-big system is a
waste of resource? Still, if we use Live DVD for system rescue
purpose, the situation is hard to imagine, :P So I still prefer to
have a localized CD, and better being released officially.

Regards,
Aron Xu

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Savvas Radevic <vicedar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aron, have you tried the DVD iso?
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/9.10/release/
>
> It contains the packages of localized versions of Ubuntu for all languages.
> Maybe this is what you need. :)
>
> 2009/12/16 Aron Xu <happyaron.xu at gmail.com>
>>
>> Thanks Tom, but I think your suggestion isn't very to the point perhaps.
>>
>> I want to talk about *official* localized CDs rather than customized
>> versions either done by local governments or other teams and individuals,
>> and my concerns have been stated in the initial mail. We have many editions
>> that aren't officially approved by our community, and some of them are in
>> Distrowatch's list,but that's really not enough. Most of them is just like
>> your company makes a tweaked version and only be trusted by a small amount
>> of people, and only an official one can be reliable enough to most people
>> desiring to have a fully localized environment at the very beginning of
>> their experience.
>> Can you imagine if Microsoft doesn't provide a localized version of
>> Windows for your language, what will their customers do? Ubuntu is free
>> software and the situation can be better in some possibilities, but
>> providing the localized editions is a big step forward in our progress,
>> which I've mentioned at the first thread.
>> To ubuntu-devel subscribers, my first mail was posted to ubuntu-devel but
>> not approved till this message being composed, please have a look at
>> Zhengpeng Hou's mail, which included all my message in a reply.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Aron Xu
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi :)
>>>
>>> Many governments already produce their own linux version for their people
>>> use. In many cases governments even employ people to help with such
>>> developments. Often Ubuntu is the chosen linux distro to work from but

>>> http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=molinux
>>> http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=guadalinex
>>>
>>> Also scroll down their Ubuntu page to their "Related Web Sites" in the
>>> table
>>> there
>>> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Ubuntu
>>> Perhaps this would be useful to link to from the main Ubuntu homepage?
>>>

>>> In Community Documentation there are instructions for anyone wanting to
>>> create their own Customised Cd although i think it needs translating into
>>> human languages as even my own edits of it are almost completely
>>> incomprehensible techno-babble
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationFromScratch
>>>

>>> I hope something here helps?
>>> Good luck and many regards from
>>> Tom :)

>>> usage. A Live CD can be used as a demo, a rescue system, or even a