Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

Carlos Costa ccosta at bsd.com.br
Sun Aug 30 17:38:58 BST 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Martin Owens<doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides, it wouldn't be Canonical for the most part, it'd be individual
> projects and people. So long as the freedoms of Free and Open source
> software as passed onto recipients, there should never be a problem with
> paying for work to be done.

Yes, you are absolutely right: Canonical needs to pay their employers!
However I'm not talking about Canonical, but about *ubuntu*.

> You might be right about popularity, maybe it's not yet time. But at

Ubuntu been the most recognized and used brand is important for the
Canonical business (call this Long Tail): They can sales support,
software and services (like ubuntuone.com) for those who can and need
to pay for it. I recommend you to read "Free! Why $0.00 Is the Future
of Business" [1] to understand what I mean.

My point is: "make a donation" is more the way to support the ubuntu
foundation then buy/sale some software :-)

With best regards,
Carlos.

[1] http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free