Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

Tomasz Dominikowski dominikowski at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 12:01:42 BST 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Matthew East<mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas<mpt at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> Matthew East wrote on 27/08/09 20:20:

>> "Center" was unfortunately off-limits because it lacks cross-Atlantic
>> compatibility, i.e. it differs in US English vs. British English
>> spelling, and foreign spelling irritates people. ("Catalog" had the same
>> problem.)
>
> I don't get that at all. "Center" appears elsewhere in our desktop
> ("Help Center") and it is simply translated by the ubuntu-l10n-en-gb
> team to read "Centre" for those users who use that language.
>
> As Przemysław pointed out, "Store" is a hell of a lot more difficult
> to translate.

As the admin and owner of the Polish L10n Team, I can say I'm
disappointed by this naming scheme as well. There is no double-meaning
word in Polish that would suit this application. We'd either have to
choose between the "warehouse" meaning, or the "shop" meaning, neither
of which work well. We will fall back on the "center" name instead, as
this is the only name that fits, is presentable and doesn't have any
negative connotations.

And arguing that that "center" and "catalog" are not l10n friendly,
while they can easily be adjusted to different locales, is silly.

Regards,
            Tomasz Dominikowski

--
Tomasz Dominikowski