Desktop Team Meeting, 2008-09-25

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Thu Sep 25 16:41:02 BST 2008

For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.

== Present ==

 * Scott James Remnant (Keybuk) - chair
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)
 * Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)
 * Michael Vogt (mvo)
 * Mirco Müller (MacSlow)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
 * Ted Gould (tedg)

 * Pedro Villavicencio Garrido (pedro_)

== Agenda ==

 * Outstanding actions from last meeting
 * FOSScamp
 * [[http://people.ubuntu.com/~dholbach/sponsoring/|Sponsoring Overview update]]
 * Targeted and Milestoned bugs
 * Release bug list:
  * Keybuk: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/libtool/+bug/258491|Bug #258491: link_all_deplibs=no patch no longer working well]]
  * pitti: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm-guest-session/+bug/262228|Bug #262228: Guest can log in only once, because of password?]]
  * pitti: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/logrotate/+bug/256891|Bug #256891: missingok does not work]] (no milestone)
  * pitti: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/hal-info/+bug/199059|Bug #199059: [Hardy] Thinkpad X31 (ATI Radeon M6) suspend backlight on]] (no milestone)
  * pitti: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/jockey/+bug/263097|Bug #263097: wl vs. b43 are not properly configured]]
  * mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/273979|Bug #273979: "apt-cdrom add" fails on intrepid for the alternate CD]]
  * mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubufox/+bug/267382|Bug #267382: firefox/ubufox not showing extensions]]
  * mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/189406|Bug #189406: Update Manager doesn't display package versions anymore]]
  * mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt-xapian-index/+bug/261423|Bug #261423: Intrepid: Xapian fails to find package when using quick search]]
  * mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/synaptic/+bug/19021|Bug #19021: Should run dpkg --configure -a automatically]] (no milestone)
  * mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/ubuntu-vm-builder/+bug/254966|Bug #254966: The --ssh-key changed behavior between hardy-updates and hardy-proposed]] (no milestone)
  * tedg: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/fast-user-switch-applet/+bug/274140|Bug #274140: Visability of Suspend and Hibernate doesn't match gnome-session's dialogs]]
  * tedg: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/fast-user-switch-applet/+bug/274146|Bug #274146: Has not yet replaced the existing log out applet]]
  * kwwii: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/human-icon-theme/+bug/269500|Bug #269500: "Log Out" and "Switch User" are misaligned]]
  * kwwii: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/human-icon-theme/+bug/269504|Bug #269504: "Suspend" icon is black rectangle in "Shut Down" dialog]]
  * Riddell: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/kdebase/+bug/241916|Bug #241916: Kde help index creation fails due to dash incompatability]]
 * Release Status
 * Review activity reports
 * Any other business

== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==

 * pitti to discuss gnome-keyring confirmation dialog behaviour in upstream bug
   ''carried forward''

== Actions from this meeting ==

 * pitti to discuss gnome-keyring confirmation dialog behaviour in upstream bug
 * mvo to decide on FOSScamp attendance
 * kwwii to decide on FOSScamp attendance
 * macslow to add X/GTK+ people to FOSScamp sponsorship list
 * seb128 to add GNOME people to sponsorship list

== FOSScamp ==

Everybody attends UDS, however FOSScamp attendance is optional.  We ran through the team to see who wanted to attend:

 * Keybuk
 * pitti
 * mpt
 * seb128
 * Riddell
 * MacSlow

Not attending:

 * tedg

Maybe:

 * mvo
 * kwwii

== Targeted and Milestoned bugs ==

  * use importance and milestone field for your own use on non-targeted bugs
  * target a bug to the development release to put it on the RM's radar
  * importance and milestone of targeted bugs specifies how release critical it is

== Release Status ==

 * gnome-session session saving and restoring does not work at all; it seems like a serious regression, but apart from rolling back to Hardy's gnome-session, there's not much we can do.
 * libgphoto2 camera handling is broken, both gvfs and f-spot try to use the device through libgphoto; thus f-spot fails due to gvfs holding it

== Activity reports ==

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===

done:
 * network manager probing, turns out it's just as broken in suse as it is in us
 * packaging Qt 4.4.2
 * packaging Qt Jambi
 * upgrade testing and a few fixes for it
 * kdebase-runtime removing svg icons
 * Update kwin in kdebase-workspace
 * Update xrandr support in kdebase-workspace
 * Kickoff improvements, including an improved logout dialogue and showing text all the time
 * fixing kdebase/xine compile breakage
 * upload adept with fixed menu listings and software-properties integration
 * remove useless zoom button from plasma
 * fix software-properties for mysterious runtime bug
 * poking rosetta people about bug 273489
 * discussing UDS and FOSSCamp with potential Kubuntu and KDE attendees

todo:
 * beta

=== Kenneth Wimer (kwwii) ===

 * looking into moving out old and/or unwanted gnome themes. After discussion with seb this seems to mess up any upgrades. Are we willing to accept this?

 * updated quite a few packages, put in my PPA as well as submitted for Intrepid. Pitti helped me to fix several problems before including them in Intrepid. Packages include:
   * gtk2-engines-murrine (new svn snapshot for Intrepid)
   * ubuntu-gdm-themes (new gdm art)
   * ubuntu-wallpapers (new wallpaper)
   * human-theme (bug fixes)
   * community-themes (new package in Intrepid)
   * ubuntu-sounds (new sounds, package larger, discussing with Steve)

 * quite a bit of community discussion around Kyūdō (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/KyudoGuidelines)

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===

Two weeks this time, I did not send a report last week due to conference.

Assigned Intrepid specs:
 * intrepid-device-permissions: implemented
 * gdm-guest-account: beta available, needs major bug fix (#262228)
 * jockey-printer-driver-support: implemented, all things from the spec work now; as bonus, Till is working on the s-c-p integration (will need FF exception)

Other non-chores work done:
 * went to Linux Plumbers Conference, see my travel report
 * conf call and discussions about landscape integration
 * covered for Scott being ill, team meeting chair/reparation/report

Sponsoring:
 * community-themes, g-v-m, gtk2-engines-murrine, kvm, libgnomeprintui, transmission, a few syncs, and reviewed a bunch of sponsor bugs which need work

=== Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) ===

Off sick for most of the week.

=== Michael Vogt (mvo) ===

update-manager:
 * some confusion about landscape, added a desktop upgrade rule to remove it (because it is only useful for paying customers), but then removed that rule again because it is now readded to  ubuntu-desktop
 * upgrade testing according to UpgradeTestingProcess - looks good so far (except CDROM upgrades are currently broken, #273979)
 * learned that fglrx, nvidia-71 and nvidia-96 are currently not working with xserver 1.5 and preparing update-manager code to detect/transition them to free drivers (partly done)

synaptic:
 * work on the xapian search and fix hang for very short searches
 * better results for substring searches

gnome-app-install:
 * updated app-install-data-ubuntu for alpha-6
 * merge upstream applications.menu changes into the g-a-i menu so that they match again
 * fixes in the maintaince UI code
 * add extraction code to the upate-menu-data package that can extract the new style codec information (e.g. in gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly)

apt:
 * fix segfault in cacheiterators.h
 * fix leak in the description processing

compiz:
 * packaging 0.7.8 in the compiz PPA
 * file FFE for 0.7.8
 * good feedback on it so far

misc:
 * mail
 * bugfixes
 * fixes in python-apt
 * play with kvm loadvm/savevm again, still unreliable
 * help seb with the gnome 2.24 update
 * sponsoring (packagekit, gnome 2.24)

=== Mirco Müller (MacSlow) ===

login-experience/gdm-face-browser:
 * figured out ho gdm's dbus protocol communication between session-manager and a greeter works using the commands "SelectUser", "BeginVerificationForUser", "SecretInfoQuery", "AnswerQuery", "StartSessionWhenReady"

 * authentication of a selected user works now

 * able to log in using the face-browser of the new login-experience for the first time ever

 * display of a users login-status in the face-browser/graphical-greeter still not working, in contact with William Jon McCann to sort this out

misc:
* more GNOME-hackfest/summit travel preparations *sigh*

* upgraded and updated laptop to intrepid becaue of ...
  * iwl3945 timeout issue
  * Xorg blanking issue

 * after the update built-in ethernet NIC not working anymore (perhaps related to the e1000 kernel-module bug), iwl3945 issue not solved, Xorg blanking issue seems solved

 * so no laptop with working network ... not such a good perspective considering the trip to GNOME-hackfest/summit in two weeks

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===

 * GNOME 2.23.92 updates

 * lot of desktop bugs triage

 * worked on fixing the retracers after the ronne move to the new datacenter, the duplicates database was corrupted, restarted the bots using a fixed version slightly smaller

 * did some hardy sru uploads:
  * new nautilus bug fix version
  * new libglib bug fix version
  * backported some nautilus-sendto svn changes
  *- backported a gtk patch to fix ipp printing in some cases

 * GNOME 2.24.0 updates, lot of those!

 * lot of sponsoring for those updates too, nice to see some active contributors giving an hand, thanks to Daniel, Martin and Michael who did their share on sponsoring too

=== Ted Gould (tedg) ===

FUSA:
 * Mess with GNOME Panel to get the default settings with the FUSA applet in the upper right corner.
 * Fix the GConf in FUSA so that people upgrading will get the right GConf keys
 * Very crashers are fixed on CDs (turns out GDM reports no users)
 * Posted a blog entry with description and links to all the of the patches so no one can say we're hiding anything (jcastro was concerned about this)

Packaging:
 * GPM update to 2.24.  Turned out to be difficult as upstream decided to change all the debug functions.
 * GSS update to 2.24.
 * FUSA update to 2.24.

Misc:
 * Booked travel for UDS Jaunty
  * Oddly, Atlas travel wanted to know my birthday and the date of birth on my passport separately...  still find that interesting.
  * Reshuffled travel for Boston GNOME Summit and UI hackfest
  * Booked OEM team for meet up
  * Tried to find out more details on the hackfest in general, but there doesn't seem to be too many.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com