ubuntu-core-dev PPA?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 19 14:29:03 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:12:57PM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Wouldn't it be easier to go back to really freeze the archive, so that people
> can just upload as usual, and only those packages needed for the release are
> unblocked by the release team? When the release is done, the archive is unfrozen
> and everything which was uploaded is processed.
>
> This would be similar to your proposal except that the uploaded packages
> wouldn't be available in the PPA, but I don't think that's a big issue.

Oh, and another thing: if a package uploaded during a soft freeze is
built and available in a PPA, it's much easier and quicker for the
release team to accept it at short notice if it turns out to be
milestone-critical, since they know it has built everywhere (well, x86en
anyway) and they can review the resulting binaries before accepting the
source change.

In fact, this could usefully be the default model during freezes even
for things previously agreed to be milestone-critical.