[RFC] Inclusion of RT2860 driver

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Wed Sep 10 20:13:20 BST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:13:08PM -0600, Adam McDaniel wrote:
> On Tue, September 9, 2008 4:16 pm, Stefan Bader wrote:
> > The most uncommon part probably is that the driver wants some configuration
> > data (a file) in /etc/Wireless/...
>
> That config directory is optional.
>
> The driver merely looks for a file called
> /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat which is only used for runtime
> configuration. If the file is not found, the module assumes everything has
> been supplied by ifconfig/iwconfig/etc, which is perfectly compatible with
> hardy's NetworkManager.

This all sounds very familiar to the RT2870 driver (available from the same
site).  I've tested this driver before on Hardy and found that it had some
quirks that forced me to bring the interface up and down a few times and restart
NetworkManager before it appeared to work in NM.  I'm not sure if the RT2860
driver is any different (the drivers might share code?).

Then again, perhaps quirky support is better than no support.

There is an in-tree RT2870 driver under development by Ivo van Doorn.  Perhaps
it would support the RT2860, as well.  I'm not sure, though, and it is not yet
complete.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond