Respecting the Host Protected Area

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Sep 8 22:47:10 BST 2008

Digging up an old subject here, but it seemed this thread ended before
with the conclusion that the HPA would remain ignored by default in
Ubuntu, so I marked the related bugs as WONTFIX.  I have received a new
bug ( #254923 ) related to this issue recently and the user reports that
the issue goes away when they test the 8.10 Alpha 4.  It appears that
this policy has been changed in the Alpha because his dmesg shows that
the kernel detects the HPA and does NOT unlock it.

I was wondering if this change was intentional, or accidental, and
whether I should mark the other related bug reports as fixed instead of
wontfix.