wireless-tools/wpasupplicant in minimal seed

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 4 11:35:43 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:17:42PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 11:03:08AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Would anyone object to wireless-tools and wpasupplicant being moved to
> > ubuntu-desktop, and also added to server-ship so that they remain
> > available on the server CD?
>
> We did agree, once upon a time, that the base system should have what you
> need to get on the network.  WPA is increasingly popular, surely more so
> than PPP (which is in standard).
>
> However, it, like ppp, is only needed to get some desktop systems on the
> network, and practically never for servers.  This is a divergence we didn't
> consider at the time (perhaps because we didn't have a server edition).

If we're looking for precedent, we have also long had a category of
tools which are needed to get onto some networks, but which are
considered sufficiently rare not to be installed by default. For those,
we simply ensure that they are on the CD, but we put them in the ship
seed so that they aren't installed by default. This category includes
PPTP, some Winmodem software, ISDN, PPPoA, and others.

On the server, I think wpasupplicant and probably ppp belong in this
category, hence my suggestion of server-ship.

Cheers,