motu-release will revert libgems-ruby to the old state.

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 1 19:04:06 BST 2008

Hi,

On Monday 01 September 2008 18:21:53 Mathias Gug wrote:

> What goes in /usr/local/ is under the responsibility of the end users.
> It's disappointing if end users install broken versions of things in
> /usr/local, but it's up to them in the end.  They can download and
> install things in /usr/local (via CPAN, PEAR, ./configure; make; make
> install, or any other way) and would run into the same issue mentioned
> above.

yes, but putting stuff there is always an active task of the sysadmin. And a
sysadmin has very fine granular control when doing so (e.g. she could choose
to use a different path, that's only visible for one particular service). This
is imho missing from the approach as seen in the upload.

Oh, one thing that hasn't been discussed by motu-release is actually the
effect on the passenger package, as posted by the server team meeting minutes.
In this regard, I'd like to bring your attention however to [1], without
further comments.

Finally, whatever MC should choose as resolution, I'd like to add to please do
it in a short time frame, so that intrepid won't possibly get affected by
last-minute changes.

Cheers,
    Stefan.
--
[1]: <http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/revu1-
incoming/passenger-0808222010/passenger-2.0.3/debian/postinst>