Intrepid seed tidying

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 1 10:59:15 BST 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:25:56AM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> aptitude is currently in minimal, but is not required on all systems, and
> provides an alternative interface for functionality available in apt.
> tasksel depends on it, but insofar as I can tell, it is only required for
> 'Packages: manual' which I don't think we use.  It also pulls in libcwidget,
> libept, libsigc++ and libxapian, none of which are used by other packages in
> minimal, and some of which could probably come off the CD entirely.
>
> Proposal: move aptitude to supported

Here's a response to this change:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/252044

It seems that a number of long-term Ubuntu users are discomforted by
this change, so perhaps supported is a bit too far out. I agree that it
is no longer necessary in the minimal set.

As far as I can see, of the libraries you mention, only libcwidget falls
off the CD due to moving aptitude to supported, now that synaptic also
uses libept and libxapian, and gnome-system-monitor and others use
libsigc++. That puts the space occupied by aptitude at around 1.7MB,
which is a fair chunk, but not necessarily infeasible.