UbuntuDevelopment/CodeReviews

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Oct 23 15:22:41 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:12:18PM +0100, James Westby wrote:
> I still think finding ways to have contributors forward the patch before
> seeking sponsorship will improve the situation. Clearly my suggestion
> wasn't going to get very far, but I'd love to discuss any ideas that
> anyone else has.

Well, one idea I've batted around is not so much to change the
sponsorship process, but to augment it with tools that come into play
when a patch is uploaded.

Basically, the idea would be to have a build farm routinely scan
launchpad for patches and attempt to apply / build / test them.  It
would then mark patches PASS/FAIL appropriately for each build or test
run done.

So, like apport-retracer, but with a test/build farm as its backend.

In addition to giving mechanical feedback about patches (applies,
builds, passes smoke tests, etc.) as byproducts it could provide .debs
for testing.  In fact, I would suspect this latter feature could
stimulate a lot of LP usage by itself.

Bryce