RFC: new modes in network-manager 0.7 + ifupdown

Jamie Jones hentai_yagi at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 13 17:53:51 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 18:19 +0200, Alexander Sack wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 05:04:28PM +0100, James Westby wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 17:05 +0200, Alexander Sack wrote:
> > > Yes, thats right and I thought about that case before.
> > >
> > > The right solution would use nm-tool or some handcrafted D-Bus calls
> > > to detect whether NM is running in managed mode or not. That should be
> > > fairly simple and is certainly something we should look into for
> > > jaunty.
> >
> > Um, forgive my ignorance, but when "ifup -a" is run at boot is the
> > system bus going to be running?
>
> Right ;) ... so the right solution has yet to be explored. My guess is
> that we won't find a perfect solution until we reached the point where
> we can completely replace ifupdown.

replace ifupdown ?? with what ?

If you mean network-manager, I think it's time for me to prepare a
migration strategy for my Ubuntu servers. That may be all fine and dandy
for systems that are happy to use dhcp, but it's caused me nothing but
pain on systems that need static addressing.

> > For Intrepid timeframe would adding a check for the presence of
> > /usr/sbin/NetworkManager be reasonable?
>
> This would be a better heuristic, yes. But still we would get
> false-positives.
>
> That said, I don't think that we need to fix this in intrepid. Its
> nothing that affects default installs

No - it just broke upgrades.

Regards,
Yagisan