Proposed changes to workflow bug management

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu May 29 23:17:08 BST 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 23:49:42 +0200 Morten Kjeldgaard <mok at bioxray.au.dk>
wrote:

>On 27/05/2008, at 20.44, Caroline Ford wrote:
>
>> Launchpad tags are useless - just a long list of noise, most with
>> 0s afterwards.
>
>Gee, Caroline, I love your positive and productive remarks...
>
>Seriously, this is a discussion on how to improve the workflow. So,
>tags are useless, period, until the end of the universe?  I've not
>been involved in this discussion long enough to understand your
>bitter gripes, but why not use your significant experience to help
>improve things, instead of arrogantly repudiating anything but your
>own superior intellect?

I have to agree with her.  It may be that they could be redesigned into
something fenerally useful, but I find the current implementation unwieldy
and difficult to use.

Sarcasm isn't particularly useful here.  Her assessment was harsh, but I
think reasonably accurate with Tags as they are now.  Tag based discovery
is not, IMO, a good basis for process improvement without a redesign.

I do think all this energy would be better spent on better documentation
and training aids for new troagers.  I think triagers should start on
things they are familiar with and expand out as they gain experience.  If
triagers would start narrowly, expand outwards as they learn, and stop and
ask if they hit something unfamilair, I think the incidence of issues with
workflow bugs would drop to acceptable levels.

Scott K