Understanding how the ubuntu / xubuntu ISO is created

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Fri May 23 08:54:39 BST 2008

Hi Josh,

 Our of curiosity, what kind of changes are you looking to make? Do you feel
any of them would benefit from being in the official repositories?

 As for your question, are you asking for a build system that will rebuild
the CD's every time you upload a new package? That seems like overkill to
me. Would you be able to clarify your requirements? Do you really need to
build your own CDs or could everyone benefit from you simply contributing to
the Xubuntu project?

Cheers,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Josh Cronemeyer <joshuacronemeyer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hope I've found the right place to ask this.  I want to create a distro
> based on xubuntu and I want to have a nice standard build process that I
> imagine the *buntus must have so that whenever I change some code, add a
> package, etc. I get a new build that results in a new ISO installer, and so
> that other people with debian/*buntu experience will be able to chip in if
> they are interested.
>
> I've found some useful links, but I feel that I could benefit from some
> human help, advice, etc. on resources that will help me understand how to go
> from a whole bunch of packages to a spiffy ISO installer.  It seems like the
> xubuntu effort is a perfect model for what I am trying to accomplish.
>
> BTW, I am specifically interested in the alternate installer rather than
> the livecd.
>
> Links I've found useful:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/ubuntu-seeds/xubuntu.hardy/files<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Exubuntu-dev/ubuntu-seeds/xubuntu.hardy/files>