Request: Move xubuntu seeds from ~ubuntu-core-dev/* to ~xubuntu-devel/*

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sat Mar 15 00:48:20 GMT 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:32:47 +0000 "Matthew East" <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:

>> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:19:38 +0000 "Matthew East" <mdke at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>>  >On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville
>>  ><cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>  >> After a quick discussion with Gauvain Pocentek and Colin Watson
today on
>>  >> IRC, I'd like to see about moving the Xubuntu seeds from under
>>  >> ~ubuntu-core-dev to ~xubuntu-devel to allow for Xubuntu developers
who
>>  are
>>  >> not Ubuntu core developers (such as myself) to make changes to the
seeds.
>>  >
>>  >Now that xubuntu is in universe, doesn't it make more sense for the
>>  >ubuntu-motu or the ubuntu-dev team to have control of these? It would
>>  >avoid the clunkiness of creating a new team as xubuntu-devel and
>>  >having ubuntu-core-dev join it.
>>  >
>>  The proposed approach gives finer grained control.  The proposal would
>>  allow xubuntu developers to have control without granting access to all
>>  MOTUs.
>
>Obviously, if that finer grained control is really needed, then it is
>a sound move.
>
>I'm continuing the thread more out of curiosity than anything, but I'd
>understood that it is unusual to use distinctions like this in Ubuntu
>development: for example anyone with access to main can touch Kubuntu
>packages, and ditto Edubuntu, Ubuntu etc. Isn't it the same for
>Universe? Or do seeds raise different issues?

I'd say they do since they define what a derivative is.  No one who isn't
working on Xubuntu really has any need for access to their seed.

In general, I do think it's a good idea to grant priviledge as narrow as is
reasonably feasible.  As the Ubuntu development community continues to
grow, I expect we'll need more granularity over time than less.

Scott K