Java is now 100% free - maybe we should include it by default?

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 23 22:58:48 BST 2008

Przemysław Kulczycki schrieb:
> Yesterday Java has been announced as 100% free.
> http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/free_compatible_java_at_last
> http://blog.softwhere.org/archives/196
>
> Maybe Ubuntu could include this free implementation by default?
> It's not too late to do that for Intrepid. Though I understand that it
> would be easier to integrate it with Debian first.
> What do you think about it?

Despite the two blogs the current OpenJDK code drops still contain some code
which is incompatible with our main section. So currently not a single
distribution ships a completely free OpenJDK package, neither Fedora, Gentoo,
nor Ubuntu. The outstanding bits are addressed upstream, and will hopefully be
addressed with the next upstream code drop. Once these issues are addressed and
packages available in intrepid, we will start the main inclusion process for
OpenJDK.

  Matthias