Modifying a bug's description

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Jun 18 22:57:11 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 14:07 -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> Bug descriptions are something that do not get modified very often,
> approximately 240 times this month, but are a great way to make bug
> reports more useful.  They can also save everyone the pain of having to
> read through every bug comment to extract important information.
>
> I put some thought into a few items[0] that would be beneficial to have
> in the bug description.  This includes a 'test case' section which is
> currently being used for the Stable Release Update verification process
> with great success.  What other information could we be adding to the
> bug description to make it more useful?

Hi Brian,

I think making sure the title is good is important as well. Making
sure that it describes the problem, and also contains any important
words for searching or scanning a bug list, so I'd encourage everyone
to always re-evaluate a bug's title when you get some more information.

I agree about a test case in the description being useful. I also think
including crucial bits of information is also useful so that you don't
have to read the whole thing. I saw on the checklist you mentioned
including a workaround if a good one is known.

Thanks,

James