requesting for changes to be sent to debian before sponsoring an upload

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 20 07:40:29 BST 2008

Sebastien Bacher [2008-06-19 15:35 +0200]:
> The issue is partially an educational one and that's why I would like to
> suggest to change the sponsoring policy to request to have changes which
> make sense for Debian sent to the bts (and bonus points if you send
> those upstream and tag the distribution patches too) before sponsoring
> an upload, this way we don't create delta and contributors learn that
> sending changes to debian and upstream is useful

I totally agree that this approach makes sense. All those little
merges which just fix a build dependency are annoying and just a
busy-work time sink, and after you did it a couple of times, sending a
Debian bug via mail becomes a three-minute job.

The only annoying thing about it is the lag between filing a Debian
bug and getting back the ack with the bug number (for inclusion into
the changelog), but nowadays that's not so bad any more (5 to 10
minutes at most). This doesn't apply for most upstream bug trackers
(bugzilla, etc.), you get back the bug# immediately.

Regarding DIF, I don't think it is much of a hassle to get merges
approved past DIF, especially not if you made yourself a reputation
for doing merges properly and spending time on forwarding bugs and
patches, eliminating pointless delta, and changing remaining Ubuntu
patches to become Debian/upstream compatible. We should totally not
sacrifice merge quality for making DIF at all costs.

Martin