requesting for changes to be sent to debian before sponsoring an upload

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 20 08:59:13 BST 2008

"Jordan Mantha" <laserjock at ubuntu.com> writes:

>> This is a very good summary of your proposal. We perhaps should
>> therefore ask all sponsors of merges to insist references to bugreports
>> that document why that change is kept during the merge.
>>
>> The bugreport should go to ubuntu, if it is an ubuntu-only change and to
>> debian, if the developer (sponsor or contributing developer) think the
>> change might be acceptable for debian.
>>

> Combining thoughts from this and Lucas' thread, would it be reasonable
> to have a README.Ubuntu (or similar) where we specifically document
> the divergence? I'm not a big fan of epic changelog entries and I
> think it kind of leads people to be too terse.

A was under the impression that this was already standing practice for
packages with complicated divergence from Debian. However, I cannot
think of an example for that.

Anyway, let's document these guidelines properly at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/Merging.

Morever, I remember a discussion at the last UDS about Ubuntu
equivalents for the debian policy and the developers reference:
"Ubuntu policy manual and standards" [1]. I'm not sure if this is the
relevant spec but I failed to find a more relevant spec:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/debian-policy-in-docbook

Could someone clarify about the status "Ubuntu policy manual and
standards"? Is there a spec about this?

In any case, this discussion is highly relevant for that manual!

[1]http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/uds-intrepid/2008-05-23/index.html,
0800am, platform track.

--
Gruesse/greetings,