requesting for changes to be sent to debian before sponsoring an upload

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 19 15:19:43 BST 2008

Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> The issue is partially an educational one and that's why I would like to
> suggest to change the sponsoring policy to request to have changes which
> make sense for Debian sent to the bts (and bonus points if you send
> those upstream and tag the distribution patches too) before sponsoring
> an upload, this way we don't create delta and contributors learn that
> sending changes to debian and upstream is useful

Agreed. When I process the ubuntu-universe-sponsors queue, many times the
changes are trivial and would be appropriate in Debian (e.g. manpages, desktop
files, new upstream releases...) and not always they are forwarded to Debian.
When they aren't, I ask the submitter to forward it, but don't wait for that to
sponsor the package if it's good (I sometimes forward it myself but not usually).

> Other small note about sponsoring, is there any document or tool which
> contributors are user to send sponsoring request for the merges they do?

I don't think so, although it could be useful to create a 'requestmerge' script
similar to the requestsync one, but requiring a debdiff as argument which is
then attached to the bug report, and puts the new debian/changelog entry in the
bug description.

Cheers,
Emilio