About forwarding bugs and patches to Debian and documenting your changes

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Thu Jun 19 13:21:15 BST 2008

On 18/06/08 at 13:34 -0500, Nicolas Valcarcel wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 18:48 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > On 18/06/08 at 10:12 -0500, Nicolas Valcarcel wrote:
> > > Thanks for the examples, now i'm clearer on what you meant.
> > >
> > > I also think this will we great, but to have a wiki page for every
> > > package and to edit it with every change it's not the best to do IMHO.
> > > On the other hand we can open a bug for the changes and explain
> > > everything there and just include the (LP: #XXXXX) part to it.
> >
> > I didn't mean that there should be one wiki page per package. Only that
> > there should be one wiki page (or one section on the same wiki page) for
> > each class of change. In the case of libext-dev, there was probably at
> > least 20 packages affected by that change, where the exact same patch
> > (add libext-dev to build-deps) was needed.
>
> Well, i still prefer to open a bug report instead of using a wiki page,
> it's easier and better for comments/discussion.

Do you mean one bug report per package that needs to be changed, or one
global bug report, filed against Ubuntu, to track the changes
everywhere?

In the first case (one bug per package), I think that this creates a
huge overhead, and is not going to work. You will have problems
convincing people to file a bug each time they make a very simple change
that needs to be done in tens of packages.

In the second case, as long as there's a simple place with documentation
about the change, I'm happy. But I think that a wiki page is a better
solution because it's easier to summarize a problem (people can edit the
summary). With a bug report, you sometimes have to read a very long
discussion before you understand the current state of the issue.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |