Moving w3m out of standard

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Jun 18 09:16:49 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 02:05:09PM -0400, Bud Roth wrote:
> I agree with Dustin's point.  When an install goes flawlessly, a text
> web browser may be superfluous, but when things go crunch and your
> laptop is not handy, a text web browser is a quick way to find solutions
> on the Internet.  Sometimes, it can be as simple a need as looking up a
> VMWARE key or making sure that the server's Apache server is serving
> pages.  Wget doesn't really fit the bill.  Some form of text web browser
> should be easily apt-gettable...

This discussion has no bearing at all on whether a text web browser is
apt-gettable.  There are already three of them in main (w3m, links, elinks),
and even if w3m were moved out of main, it would still be apt-gettable.

My proposal has only to do with removing it from the default installation
on desktops.

--
 - mdz