Staging area for hardy-proposed ?

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 5 16:26:57 BST 2008

Michael Vogt schrieb:
> I'm speficially having the example of openoffice.org in mind (just
> because its a complex package, not to pick on it).
>
> In hardy we have 2.4.0. In hardy-proposed we have
> 2.4.1~rc2. Openoffice.org needs matching openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb (or
> other languages) packages. Those match the exact version of the
> openoffice.org they are build against (Depends: ooo (>= 2.4.0), ooo
> (<< 2.4.0.1)) and they come from a different source package than OOo.

This specific problem is in the OOo packaging, where the overly strict
dependencies were taken over from Debian, and the more loose dependencies in
Ubuntu were dropped. It should be fixed in OOo.

IMO, it's better to use uploads to -proposed in general, and a PPA for known
problematic packages if those cannot be fixed.

  Matthias