Staging area for hardy-proposed ?

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 4 16:28:20 BST 2008

Hi,

I would like to discuss if we should have a staging area for
hardy-proposed for updates that need to go in together at the same
time.

With hardy we have more changes than in previous releases and more
packages like openoffice (with its translations), firefox (with
xulrunner), compiz (with its plugins) and of course the kernel that
require multiple package to enter -proposed at the same time for a
flawless upgrade.

It would make the life of users with -proposed enabled a lot
easier. This also affects upgrade, for example bug #235583 is the
result of users with gutsy-proposed who try to upgrade to hardy. When
hardy-proposed is inconsitent the release upgrader will refuse the
upgrade because it would have to remove translation packages
(something that it refuses by default).

I discussed this briefly with the launchpad soyuz team and one
possible way would be to have a trusted private PPA that is used for
the staging and then the results are copied over to
hardy-proposed. This will put additional work on the archive-admins
though (also I think we could script a lot of the consistency checks).

What do you think?

Cheers,
 Michael