Bugs reports about -proposed packages

Alexander Sack asac at canonical.com
Wed Jun 4 11:17:08 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51:01AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:05:37PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Brian Murray [2008-06-02 16:35 -0700]:
> > > Recently there has been some promotion of enabling the Hardy -proposed
> > > repository so we can get more testing and feedback about those
> > > particular packages.  However, it isn't particularly easy to find
> > > bug reports about a package in the -proposed repository.
>
> > Since I have enforced the "changelog must refer to all fixed bugs" SRU
> > requirement strictly, our SRU overview page
>
> >   http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/pending-sru.html
>
> > is actually pretty good for listing all the currently tested packages,
> > and the bugs associated with it. That page is also linked from the
> > StableReleaseUpdates policy wiki page.
>
> > Do we need to make this page more obvious? Anything that I can change
> > on that page to make it more useful for testers?
>
> The concern here is that there's no reliable way for us, the SRU team, to
> find out about bugs that have been filed /against/ the version of a package
> in -proposed, so that we know about regressions and don't blindly copy
> packages to -updates.

Right,

making reporters use apport would be good thing to get at least
some basic package informations (like version) submitted
automatically.

Is there anything we can do to make more users use apport? Presenting
a banner on launchpad's "report a bug" page? Reinstantiate the "Report
a Bug" menu entry in the System menu for -proposed users?

 - Alexander