[RFC] Transition tracker

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Jul 29 21:40:59 BST 2008

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 10:12, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> Loïc Minier ha scritto:
> >  I understand the current approach is to share a directory with files
> >  listing the bugs for each transition; presumably you intend to host
> >  this on an Ubuntu QA host?
>
> We though to implement a bzr repository where Ubuntu developers can
> commit a "transition list" (a template can be found at [1]). Tracker
> will scan branch periodically, import new transition lists and report
> new bugs in Launchpad without user interaction.
>
> Actually, code [2] can file new bugs on staging.lp.net (and print
> results in plain text format), so it can be used for experiments. You
> just need to branch [3] and execude tracker inside of it (due to changes
> not yet included in python-launchpad-bugs trunk).
>
> >  In Debian, transitions used to be tracked via bug dependencies (a
> >  master bug for the transition depending on all the per-package bugs);
> >  nowadays it's implemented with "usertags".  Is there a reason that tags
> >  wouldn't be a good way to track Ubuntu transitions?
>
> We can achieve the same goal using tags and publishing the transitions
> on a wiki page (e.g. Debian's [4]). IIRC, some developers are not happy
> about this approach, but I can't remember reasons right now.

Personally I find dealing with tags among the least pleasant aspects of
Launchpad U/I.  There are some many of them that the namespace is hopelessly
corrupt and unmanageable.  The only time tags have any utility at all is if
it's one static tag that you can have a canned query for.  I like Luca's
proposal a lot better than tags.

Scott K