[RFC] Transition tracker

Luca Falavigna dktrkranz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 29 15:12:19 BST 2008

Loïc Minier ha scritto:
>  I understand the current approach is to share a directory with files
>  listing the bugs for each transition; presumably you intend to host
>  this on an Ubuntu QA host?

We though to implement a bzr repository where Ubuntu developers can
commit a "transition list" (a template can be found at [1]). Tracker
will scan branch periodically, import new transition lists and report
new bugs in Launchpad without user interaction.

Actually, code [2] can file new bugs on staging.lp.net (and print
results in plain text format), so it can be used for experiments. You
just need to branch [3] and execude tracker inside of it (due to changes
not yet included in python-launchpad-bugs trunk).

>  In Debian, transitions used to be tracked via bug dependencies (a
>  master bug for the transition depending on all the per-package bugs);
>  nowadays it's implemented with "usertags".  Is there a reason that tags
>  wouldn't be a good way to track Ubuntu transitions?

We can achieve the same goal using tags and publishing the transitions
on a wiki page (e.g. Debian's [4]). IIRC, some developers are not happy
about this approach, but I can't remember reasons right now.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/5tsos8
[2] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-qa/ubuntu-qa-tools/transitiontracker
[3] lp:~thekorn/python-launchpad-bugs/new.httpconnection
[4] http://wiki.debian.org/OngoingTransitions

Regards,

--
  . ''`.      Luca Falavigna