REGRESSION [hardy-backports]: flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.1.218+10.0.0.525ubuntu1~hardy1 causes Firefox to crash on numerous popular websites

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 12 20:38:38 BST 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:11:32 -0300 "Cody A.W. Somerville"
> <cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>

> >Anyhow, I suppose the first step is blocking the update and getting a fix
> out. After, we can look at how this happened and what we need to do to
> reduce the risk of something similiar occuring again.

> Everyone knows backports are crack and so ....
>
> I am aware (I approved the backport) and as soon as I get somwhere that
> lends itslef to a stable IRC presence (less than an hour) I intend to hunt
> down an archive admin and deal with it.
>
> Backports by design are risky and aggressive.  Sometimes they don't work
> out and we deal with it.  We actually don't want to prevent risk taking in
> backports, so please don't 'fix' the process.

If not the "process" then probably the documented policy (which seems to be
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports). In the "Stability"
section it says: "A great deal of work goes into testing backports and it's
highly unlikely for a backport to be a severe regression from the version it
replaces."

Furthermore, since it seems the common user enables -backports, we should do
a better job of informing them of the risks - probably including a warning
when actually enabling it.

> Scott K

Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Engineer