REGRESSION [hardy-backports]: flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.1.218+10.0.0.525ubuntu1~hardy1 causes Firefox to crash on numerous popular websites

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sat Jul 12 20:30:16 BST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:11:32 -0300 "Cody A.W. Somerville"
<cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>Since there doesn't seem to be a policy defined anywhere on how to deal
with regressions in backports, I figured it wouldn't hurt to send an e-mail
to ubuntu-devel to help ensure the proper folks can take action.The recent
flashplugin-nonfree backport causes Firefox to become unstable as the
plugin is causing a crash when users visit a number of popular websites
that take advantage of the technology. This renders some websites competely
inaccessible and users who frequent primarily websites that use flash may
find their ability to do so almost completely crippled although due to the
popularity of flash ads, banners, and widgets, almost all users will
experience frequent crashes regardless of their browsing habits.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/247682

>Anyhow, I suppose the first step is blocking the update and getting a fix
out. After, we can look at how this happened and what we need to do to
reduce the risk of something similiar occuring again.

Everyone knows backports are crack and so ....

I am aware (I approved the backport) and as soon as I get somwhere that
lends itslef to a stable IRC presence (less than an hour) I intend to hunt
down an archive admin and deal with it.

Backports by design are risky and aggressive.  Sometimes they don't work
out and we deal with it.  We actually don't want to prevent risk taking in
backports, so please don't 'fix' the process.

Scott K