REGRESSION [hardy-backports]: flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.1.218+10.0.0.525ubuntu1~hardy1 causes Firefox to crash on numerous popular websites

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 12 20:11:32 BST 2008

Since there doesn't seem to be a policy defined anywhere on how to deal with
regressions in backports, I figured it wouldn't hurt to send an e-mail to
ubuntu-devel to help ensure the proper folks can take action.The recent
flashplugin-nonfree backport causes Firefox to become unstable as the plugin
is causing a crash when users visit a number of popular websites that take
advantage of the technology. This renders some websites competely
inaccessible and users who frequent primarily websites that use flash may
find their ability to do so almost completely crippled although due to the
popularity of flash ads, banners, and widgets, almost all users will
experience frequent crashes regardless of their browsing habits.

The master bug report can be found at
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/247682

Anyhow, I suppose the first step is blocking the update and getting a fix
out. After, we can look at how this happened and what we need to do to
reduce the risk of something similiar occuring again.

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Engineer