8.04.1 to Intrepid upgrade test

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 11 09:07:00 BST 2008

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 03:01:24PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> With the current -nvidia in Intrepid, I suspect people have been holding
> off on messing with it given the upcoming changes.  I think when the new
> stuff gets uploaded we'll see a lot of the current issues resolve.

I'll be testing some of this out today on my nVidia-based desktop.

> For bulletproof-x, I'm a bit torn, as it has its uses, but with KDE now
> actively deprecating guidance-backends, and our own dropping of
> displayconfig-gtk due to its lack of xrandr support, overall it's
> exhibiting an increasing number of unaddressed bugs.  Debian's
> preference is to instead build an exception-handling capability directly
> into the xserver, which is probably a good idea but I've not had time to
> look into that, nor have they.  Pending that, I'm wondering if we should
> just switch off bulletproof-x mode for now?  The 'xfix' option (which
> essentially just does a "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg") will
> cover the case of an invalid xorg.conf; Jockey and Envy-NG are covering
> the proprietary module installation/configuration better; other BPX use
> cases are largely obsolete with current "config-less" X.org.

I think there's a lot of value in having something which automatically
responds to the user, rather than having to be manually invoked like 'xfix'
via recovery mode, and we should retain that basic functionality even if the
user interface and capabilities have to change.  If displayconfig-gtk goes
away, could we at least have the friendly-recovery menu run automatically if
X fails to start up?  Perhaps an option to reconfigure with a lower priority
would be valuable as well.

--
 - mdz