Universe Recommends for packages in main

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 8 09:55:16 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 10:42:43PM +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op zondag 06-07-2008 om 14:58 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Matt
> Zimmerman:
> > >
> > > I would expect that this is a relatively uncommon requirement
> > nowadays.
> >
> > On further reflection, I think I agree.  It's been longer than I
> > thought since we shipped 1.x (pre-Dapper).
> >
> > Ideally, users who have upgraded from a release which shipped 1.x
> > should receive this package, while others wouldn't.  Failing that, I
> > think Suggests is probably OK.0
>
> Maybe double-clicking such files could launch a dialog that allows the
> user to install the required package(s)?

That's an interesting tradeoff, which I think works better for obscure file
formats.

Is this really the oo.o 1.x file format?  The description only mentions
StarOffice, and I don't recall how the version numbers lined up.

> Maybe we should have this for all file formats that are reasonably well
> supported by some application(s) in the repositories...

We did this at one point in GNOME, e.g. double-clicking a .dia file in
Nautilus should prompt you to install Dia.  I'm not sure it sees enough
testing these days, though.

--
 - mdz