Did we really release 8.04?

Stuart Laughlin stuart at bistrotech.net
Mon Jul 7 16:34:28 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> For 8.04, a deliberate effort was made by Canonical to continue
> stabilization in response to real-world testing after the 8.04 release.  In
> practice, many issues which affect users are only discovered when end users
> begin to upgrade and use the new release on a daily basis, and for this
> release, we prepared a comprehensive response to this feedback.
>
> If you were unaware that this was going on, perhaps we could do a better job
> of communicating this type of effort with the public.

I'm a lurker here but just wanted to pipe up and thank all of you for
your work on Hardy. I too was unaware of the 'real-world testing'
scheme and was likewise a bit concerned with the amount of churn
(manifested as numbers of updates), especially in light of the fact
that I convinced a couple of my colleagues to make the switch, lauding
the stability of the LTS release, etc. But now it makes complete
sense, and I'm very happy to hear about it.

I feel compelled to additionally point out the striking difference
between the Ubuntu development model, wherein ten developers crank out
tons of small changes that cumulatively add a lot to polish and
stability of the platform, compared to the Windows development model,
wherein hundreds of developers crank out all kinds of changes but very
little seems to ever actually get fixed. IMHO, of course. ;)

--Stuart