unrar-free

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Mon Feb 11 18:53:14 GMT 2008

Matt Zimmerman wrote the following on 11.02.2008 15:37

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:20:31PM +0800, shadowkernel wrote:
>> I prefer to use the non-free version, because it supports better.
>> However, some people like rms may use free software only. I recommend
>> include it.
>
> Regardless of what those people think, we have a clear and consistent policy
> for licensing in Ubuntu, which is one of the founding documents of the
> project:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing
>
> It explains that by default, Ubuntu, with one exception (drivers), includes
> only software which is free (according to our guidelines).

$ aptitude show p7zip-rar | grep "extract RAR"
 p7zip-rar provides a module for p7zip-full to make 7z able to extract RAR

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/multiverse/p/p7zip-rar/p7zip-rar_4.55~ds.1-2/p7zip-rar.copyright
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/p/p7zip/p7zip_4.57~dfsg.1-1/p7zip-full.copyright

$ aptitude show p7zip-rar | grep Size:
Uncompressed Size: 160k
Compressed Size: 48.5k
$ aptitude show p7zip-full | grep Size:
Uncompressed Size: 3076k
Compressed Size: 1180k

if i understand correctly p7zip could be shipped instead?

The binary naming problem still exists.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09