Naming problem for the "Falcon Programming Language" in Ubuntu.

Ming Hua minghua at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 10 01:15:18 GMT 2008

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 04:15:59PM +0100, Giancarlo Niccolai wrote:
> Ming Hua wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 03:03:15PM +0100, Giancarlo Niccolai wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you Matt, but AFAIK the thing has been discussed and resolved in
> >> the MOTU list as follows: I have changed the package name (from falcon
> >> to falconpl) and keeping /usr/bin/falcon, and falcon package is having
> >> a /usr/bin/falcon-start file in place of /usr/bin/falcon; no conflicts
> >> have been set in the packages.
> >
> > I didn't check the exact dependencies of these new packages, but I hope
> > the falconpl package has a Conflicts relation with the old versions of
> > falcon package.
> >
> There isn't any "old version" of the falcon package.

There is falcon 2.0.4-0ubuntu1 in hardy currently, and it contains
/usr/bin/falcon file.  By conflicting with old version of falcon, I mean
the falconpl package should have "Conflicts: falcon (<= 2.0.4-0ubuntu1)".

> Also, MOTUs have requested (and obtained) not to set any conflict
> field, and that the two packages can be installed without any conflict
> on installed files.

I think you misunderstood the requests by MOTUs.  I'm not involved with
these requests, but from what I've read from the mailing list, they are
asking the most recent falcon and falconpl packages not to conflict with
each other.  I agree with this.

The Confilcts relation I'm proposing above is about old versions, not
most recent versions (which will be released in 8.04), and is needed for
a smooth upgrade.  Altough since old versions of falcon only existed in
hardy, which was never released, this is not a big deal.  Still, my
suggestion of adding a Conflicts doesn't hurt anything.

Ming
2008.02.09