AutoFsck - Technical Review

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:14:43 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Scott James Remnant
<scott at netsplit.com> wrote:
> (Originally posted to the Technical Board, 20th Feburary)
> Technical Problems
> ------------------
> No support exists for LVM, software RAID (mdadm) or device mapper (dm)
> devices.  In fact, AutoFsck greps the mount output for /dev/hd
> and /dev/sd only.  We use LVM for encrypted disks, so this should
> definitely be supported.

My systems have each user's home directory in LUKS/dm-crypt volumes
loaded at login via pam_mount.  On the occasion when fsck runs there
isn't any indication of it, at least not with the "Happy Gnome with
Browser" theme.  Only the drive LED indicates anything is happening.
They don't always unmount properly at logout either due to some
unknown random open file issue.  I don't know how many Ubuntu users in
the world are configured with pam_mount and LUKS/dm-crypt but us
paranoid types generally keep a low profile.  I just want to make sure
that if AutFsck is integrated it supports this configuration.