Ubuntu Policy Manual

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 24 15:19:54 BST 2008

As per the attached mail, I've uploaded a version of the Debian Policy
Manual customised for Ubuntu. You can see the text here as well as in
the package:

  http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/ubuntu-policy/

I've also uploaded a Bazaar import of the Debian master branch (thanks
to bzr-fastimport) and a Bazaar branch corresponding to this Ubuntu
upload to Launchpad. The latter is owned by ubuntu-core-dev:

  lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/debian-policy/ubuntu

There are undoubtedly gaps in this, and in particular there are some
items from the UDS discussion
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS-Intrepid/Report/Platform) that I haven't
yet captured. I think it should be a good start, though.

As discussed at UDS, I suggest that we establish a lightweight process
for making substantive policy changes. The rough consensus at UDS was as
follows:

 * Developer posts proposed change (in prose or as a diff) to
   ubuntu-devel
 * Discussion thread on ubuntu-devel to establish wording of change
 * If general consensus is achieved, any core developer other than the
   original proposer may apply the change (this is to avoid one-man
   changes to policy)

Maybe the last point is too strict, and we can just require some number
of seconds before committing. What do people think? Also,
non-substantive changes (trivial formatting adjustments, typos, package
maintenance, etc.) should obviously be allowed without process.

I also just realised that at UDS people thought this should be called
ubuntu-policy and the pristine debian-policy should be retained in the
archive for reference. Oops. Is this important to try to revert somehow?
We could just refer people to the original by URL.

Thanks,