Installing recommends and the CD size

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 13 10:25:45 BST 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 03:07:09PM -0700, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Michael Vogt wrote:
> >
> > * we could build the CD without recommends and have additional dvd or
> > 1gb usb stick images that contain the missing recommends so that
> > people with more BW can just get those
>
> Why don't we provide a full (8 GB) DVD image completely stuffed with
> packages?  Not only a combination of the alternate, server, and desktop
> CDs, every language pack and recommends, but also outfitted with the
> most popular non-main packages as well?

A list of "the most popular non-main packages" would be interesting to look
at.

Oddly enough, http://popcon.ubuntu.com/universe/by_vote is not that.  A
quick glance shows that it contains lots of packages which are actually in
main.

> It seems like a waste to not fill up a DVD.  Moreover, it is exceedingly
> difficult to install a universe package without an internet connection,
> especially if it has many universe dependencies.  Installing Wine
> without internet, for instance, requires hand-downloading and install of
> about 12 different .deb files even when the user has the DVD.

It's not a waste when you consider that far more DVDs are downloaded than
shipped.

Perhaps WINE is popular enough that it should be considered for main?

--
 - mdz