Regarding library names in Ubuntu

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 4 17:04:30 BST 2008

"Ruchi Lohani" <rlohani at adobe.com> writes:

> Does this mean that I cant use the same binary on other Linux which were built
> on ubuntu?

yes.

> Why is Ubuntu using non-standard names for libraries?

In general ubuntu is not using non-standard SONAMES but sticks to
upstream's.  For this particular library, I assume that it has been
compiled with special flags making it incompatible with other distros.

you could check with the maintainer (check the changelog to find out who
touched the package last) for more information.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4