Short Gutsy Upgrade Report

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Sat Sep 29 00:02:56 BST 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 10:37:16AM +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
>  * I find the X configuring GUI pretty impossible to use - I plugged in
> an external monitor and tried to configure it (as Screen 2) with no
> luck. In fact, it hosed my org.conf and my system booted into safe-mode.

Was this with -ati by chance?  There's a known issue here in that -ati
now uses xrandr, but displayconfig-gtk still tries to use xinerama,
which results in xorg.confs that won't work.  I've talked with glatzor
about this and a fix should be in soon to at least make it not attempt
to do this kind of dual screen configuration if it's going to fail.

OTOH, I *think* you can just plug in the monitor and hit Fn+F8.  I've
not tested this on an ATI laptop myself yet, so I'd love it if someone
can confirm.

It can also be achieved via plugging in the external monitor and doing
'randr --auto'.  If that doesn't do it, I'd like to know.

Bryce