Future of the Packaging Guide

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 22 09:48:27 BST 2007

Stefan Potyra <sistpoty at ubuntu.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch 19 September 2007 11:29:16 schrieb Daniel Holbach:
>> === Cons ===
> [..]
>>       * malicious editing, harder to have QA for it
>
> I guess malicious editing isn't the real problem here. Rather new additions,
> which never leave a draft state might get in easily.

that, and users asking questions directly on pages containing
controversial content [1], which are left unanswered for a long time. I
think this is a real problem, because the document itself looses
authority this way.

[1] I remember a section in the packaging guide about licensing, which
had some very confusing statements regarding what kind of software you
can to a GPL program and what not. It wasn't necessarily wrong, but way
to general so that it could be very easily misunderstood. However, I
didn't bookmark it so I lost the reference.

Anyway, I think especially in the packaging guide, we'll potentially get
quite some controversial topic, since there are over 1000 Debian
Maintainers out there, most of them packaging software in subtle
different ways. If all was in a wiki like proposed, I see a big problem
for the quality of the document.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4