should people.ubuntu.com be people.canonical.com

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 21 00:55:21 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 12:05:01AM -0700, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> So one of my pet peeves in the community since I first started has
> been that people.ubuntu.com accounts are only for Canonical employees
> (as far as I'm aware). Since a large majority of Ubuntu developers are
> volunteers and not Canonical employees it seems quite odd and
> exclusionary to have a URL like people.ubuntu.com only for the
> employees.

Thanks for bringing this up; it's an old wart which deserves to be
addressed.  The issues to resolve are:

1. Clarifying the presentation of the existing resource, which is a
Canonical one.  This is for Canonical to deal with, but I think it can be
handled through the Community Council.

2. How/when/whether we can provide a similar service to a broader subset of
Ubuntu contributors, and which subset that should be.  This seems like a
joint Canonical / Community Council issue which should be brought before the
Council.

So in the end, both of these are CC matters.

--
 - mdz