Web/wiki page for free software drivers explanation?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 19 11:30:12 BST 2007

Hello Ubuntu fellows,

we still need to add a link to restricted-manager [1] which points to
a web or wiki page with explanations about free and proprietary
drivers for hardware, This is part of the driver education spec [2].

We need something that explains in non-tech-savvy words why some
hardware is hard or impossible to support with free software, and why
others works well (vendor support, etc.), and thereby which kind of
hardware should be preferred when buying new stuff.

Right now the closes is [3], but it isn't suitable for end users at
all. Does anyone have a better page at hand, or would like to create
one?

Thanks,

Pitti

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/134069